Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about the current state of the economy and how it has affected fashion - for me personally and for the world in general. At the moment, I've been into a minimalist wardrobe, with classic staples and neutral colors. Looking through the Fall 2009 collections so far, I think many designers and I have been on the same wavelength.



Abaete




Boy by Band of Outsiders


But then, after seeing collections like Diane von Furstenberg and Erin Fetherston, not to mention all the couture shows last month, I've been having second thoughts.



Diane von Furstenberg




Erin Fetherston




Christian Dior



Shouldn't fashion be fun? I mean, minimalism is good. I'm a huge fan of minimalism (the photos I posted above were some of my favorites from the simpler collections). But the best part of fashion is the whimsical aspect, the clothes that tell a story. And however classic and impeccably styled some of the shows were, they just didn't cut it for me. Sure they were wearable and "retail-ready", but they weren't very inspiring. Of course I am a huge fan of simple, classic design and I always will be, but I think I may have had a change of heart after seeing some of these exciting collections. Fashion should be exciting, especially in these times. I think this great quote by John Galliano sums it up: "There's a credit crunch, not a creative crunch. Of course, everyone is being more careful with their discretionary purchases. I am. But it's our job to make people dream, and to provide the value in quality, cut, and imagination."

4 comments:

  1. I don't think the economy really should affect designer's visions in a way that limits them--it can affect what they create, but I don't think it should destroy their imagination. Afterall, when life is hard, it's nice to bring in a bit of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quote. I especially liked the John Galliano for Dior Spring 2009 couture collection. His quote rings true as much of the collection was full of exciting and creative designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that second photo! The outfit is so perfect!

    xoxo,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete